Pages

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

'The Fosters' an ABC Family Premiere

'The Fosters' is a new TV series put out by ABC Family, it premiered last night June 3rd.  The basic premise is a Lesbian couple, one son who is biologically one of the mothers and two children (one boy, one girl) who were adopted through foster care.  In the first episode, the couple takes in a foster child straight from Juvie and by the end of the episode they also take in her younger brother.
I was excited to see a foster family portrayed in a TV show in a more realistic fashion.   I thought they did a pretty good job combining both the joys and pitfalls of the fostering world. They crammed a whole lot into one episode, but still managed to show the internal conflicts of all parties involved in the fostering and adoptive family.
I was surprised how difficult it was for me to watch, it definitely hit home and was relatable to me.  One thing that keeps sticking in my mind is when the biological dad of the son says to the mom something along the lines of why they feel the need to pick up lost strays like a dog pound.  It was a dagger to the heart!  So many people out there have a negative view of foster parents and I have also encountered hurtful words or looks about these children who have been put into this situation through no fault of their own.
I was glad they touched on the birthparent issue with the adopted kids, the inner turmoil that can cause with both the kids and adoptive parents. The show definitely hit on A LOT in one episode, I wish they would have slowed down just a bit.  However, I'm excited to see where this show goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...