Pages

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Brief Hiatus :)


My apologies for the brief absence, lol!  Things have been busy around here.

The new placement is going well.  Alex really gets along with James and Joel.  Matthew is struggling a bit because Alex does not let him get away with his bullying behavior and need to be in control of everything all the time.  James and Joel just let Matthew have his way....not so much anymore.  It has been really good for me to see what areas Matthew still needs a lot of work in and also good to see how great James has been doing with learning "friend" skills.  I have to say I'm feeling a little odd about this placement.  Maybe because Im used to kids with attachment issues who were calling me Mommy after day one or overly affectionate.  Alex doesn't seek me out and frankly wants little to do with me, he doesn't really need anything other than food and clothes.  Im left feeling like a babysitter most of the time.  To be honest I don't think he even knows my name!  He's fairly well behaved and polite and so far isn't displaying any type of issues.  I guess I should just be thankful things are going well in all of those areas.

I got back last week from the annual BeTA (Beyond Trauma and Attachment) Retreat in Orlando.  Once again it was a great experience, I really had a chance to get to know a few more women and enjoy a break from all the kiddos.  Alex went to respite while I was there and that was touch and go at first.  He started pretending he was sick and didn't mesh real well with the older lady who he was staying with the first few days.  However by the end they had a great time!

We have been having some sleep issues with Alex.  He is up at 4am everyday.  James was sleeping in his room but the waking up early thing was creating all kinds of chaos.  I moved James out of the room, which Alex was really upset about claiming he was too scared.  Alex will continually turn the light on at night, which I finally conceded and let him leave on.  I will then turn it off when I go to bed, but at 4 am he has it back on and will refuse to go back to sleep.  The light was waking everyone else up and I was trying to get him to keep his door closed if he wants his light on.  He would close it and then ten minutes later open it back up, waking me and others up again.  He will drive his cars around the floor causing noise.  Ugh, last night I gave my boys Melatonin because things were getting cranky around here without them sleeping.  They slept through the morning crazy with Alex and things went so much smoother getting ready for school.  Not sure what Im going to do yet about this? Any ideas?

Hopefully Ill get another post with more details about my BeTA trip and respite up soon!

1 comment:

  1. So glad to see you are back :) I have issues with my oldest son sleeping through the night and have since he was probably between 6-8. He has ADHD and the doctor thinks it may have something to do with his sleep issues but I can say that my son has been on medication for less than 6 months for ADHD and it made no difference. What did help was giving him melatonin before bed and Valerian root. Valerian root is supposed to help calm us and help us stay asleep. If my oldest doesn't take any meds before bed, he is up again within 4-6 hours and he isn't able to fall back asleep. This makes for a cranky teenager by the end of the day and then the routine just keeps going and going and going o_0 My mom was telling me that there is melatonin that has a two sided tablet where one side is instantly dissolved and the other side is slowly dissolved to help stay asleep longer. I want to look into that, I think that might help my son. Good luck and let me know what ends up working out for Alex.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...